Cancer Rehabilitation Services In The Upper Hunter Valley
Improvement in shoulder movement and function
Shift from illness to wellness
Breast Cancer Rehabilitation Treatments To Help You To Wellness
Have you undergone treatment for breast cancer?
Do you still experience altered function in your upper body as a result?
Australian research indicates that more than 50% of breast cancer survivors report upper body symptoms when surveyed 6 years after diagnosis. Symptoms reported include stiffness, weakness, sensory change, pain and/or swelling in the arm, neck shoulder and/or trunk.
We offer a unique rehabilitation service to women of Singleton and the Upper Hunter Valley to help you function better and live well following breast cancer. Rehabilitation therapy input is based on your goals to assist you to engage in the tasks and life roles that are important to you, encouraging a shift of focus from illness to wellness.
A variety of treatment modalities may be used when treating physical dysfunction following cancer treatment. These may include:
- Soft tissue barrier massage and low level laser for softening of cording, radiation scarring and adhesions throughout the chest wall.
- Myofacial release, taping and exercise prescription to reduce pain, improve posture, movement and strength through the upper body.
- Instruction in diaphragm activation to improve breathing and posture patterns, facilitate quality sleep for rest and repair and establish effective shoulder and core stability.
- Management of any unusual swelling in the arm, breast or upper quadrant (see Lymphoedema Management).
- Education regarding skin care, nutrition and other lifestyle factors which may impact on function and wellbeing.
If you have undergone cancer treatment, you may experience difficulties with fatigue, concentration, memory and problem solving. Sometimes referred to as “chemobrain”, these changes can contribute to a feeling of loss of control and reduced competence in the tasks and life roles that are important to you.
We offer practical strategies and retraining to lessen the impact of these symptoms and assist you to function better and live well after cancer.
Treatment for Other Cancers
Have you undergone treatment for prostate cancer, melanoma or another cancer that has resulted in you undergoing interventions such as:
- Cancer surgery
Any and all of these treatments can leave you with after affects that impact on your ability to function and live well. Roseanne at Encompass Therapy can provide treatment that aims to alleviate the effects of pain, swelling, scarring and movement restriction so that you can return to participating in the activities you value.