Lymphatic Therapy In Singleton
Manual lymphatic drainage massage
Prescription of compression garments
What are the benefits of lymphatic drainage massage?
Lymphatic drainage massage is a light, relaxing hands on treatment designed to stimulate lymphatic system function. By stimulating the circulation of lymph fluid through the body, removal of wastes and toxins is improved. Lymphatic massage improves circulation, increases metabolic rate and has the potential to improve immune function.
Numerous health conditions may benefit from lymphatic therapy:
- Swollen legs or arms due to fluid retention
- Limb swelling pre or post surgery
- Breast tenderness and congestion related to hormonal change
- Cancer related swelling
- Lymphoedema (see below for more information)
- Lipoedema (see below for more information)
- Conditions related to reduced immune function such as Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Recurrent infections such as colds, flu, sinus and yeast infections
- Swollen limbs related to diabetes, venous insufficiency
What is Lymphoedema?
Lymphoedema is an abnormal collection of high-protein fluid just beneath the skin. This swelling, or oedema occurs most commonly in the arm or leg, but it also may occur in other parts of the body including the breast, trunk, head and neck, or genitals. Lymphoedema usually develops when the lymph vessels or nodes are damaged or removed but can also occur when the lymph system is impaired due to a hereditary condition or overloaded due to lifestyle factors or disease.
Helping You Manage Lymphoedema
Lymphoedema is a chronic condition that if not managed, can progress to cause significant swelling that impacts on function and predisposes the patient to infection, skin breakdown and other complications. As a nationally accredited lymphoedema practitioner, Roseanne at Encompass Therapy offers a comprehensive lymphoedema management service to people living in Singleton and the Upper Hunter Valley. Therapy may include:
- Comprehensive assessment of your condition, with written recommendations to your treating doctor regarding management
- Advice and education regarding lifestyle factors to promote function and reduce risk of condition flare-ups and complications.
- Manual lymphatic drainage massage to move lymph fluid from the affected body part and encourage lymphatic return via healthier parts of the lymphatic system.
- Multi-layer bandaging programs to reduce swelling and promote tissue healing. Encompass Therapy offers a variety of bandaging systems depending on the needs of the client. These include the Mobiderm bandaging system by Thuasne and the 3MTM CobanTM2 compression system.
- Prescription and fitting of a range of compression garments to maintain limb volume with advice regarding wear and care.
- Soft tissue treatment of fibrotic tissue changes to soften the limb tissue, promote lymphatic return and normalise movement.
- Advice regarding appropriate self management related to self massage, activity levels and precautions, nutrition and stress management.
- Sequential intermittent pneumatic compression (SIPC) therapy applies pressure to the limbs to promote circulation of blood and lymphatic fluid to and from the extremities of the body. Encompass Therapy uses Medirent’s LX9 Compression Pump with attachments for upper and lower limbs as well as the abdomen.
- Use of Low Level Laser therapy (LLLT) to soften fibrotic (thickened) tissue and promot lymphatic return. This is a painless, non-invasive treatment modality. Encompass Therapy uses the Rhiancorp LTU – 904 Low Level Laser.
Lipoedema is a long term chronic condition where there is an abnormal build-up of fat cells in the legs, thighs and buttocks, and occasionally the arms. Therapeutic management of the condition can minimise disease progression and reduce secondary effects such as foot and knee pain. Many of the therapeutic tools used in lymphoedema management can be modified for effective use with Lipoedema.